Friday, 10 February 2017

How To Deal With Rejection




I have been writing for over ten years (my nerves, no wonder I'm tired). And over that time I've written nine novels—seven are published. And for each novel, I probably accrued over a hundred rejections...at least. You do the math, that's a lot of rejection.

I blame my slightly addictive nature toward querying. I can't help it! I'm inherently hopeful by nature and after each book I think, Wow, this could be the one that: a) gets me an agent b) gets picked up by a major publisher thereby throwing a spotlight on all my previous darlings c) gets me a move deal—hey, girl's gotta dream. Plus, I love writing query letters.

Even though the sting of rejection still exists (even after a decade) I've never let those rejections stop me from writing the next story, and in turn send out the next query because *winky wink* movie deal.

Anyway, while I'm waiting for fame, I thought you might enjoy some of my tips if you need a little boost for your writing soul.

1. DON'T take it personally. Truly, when they write 'it's not a good fit for me', it's because they didn't connect with the story. It doesn't mean you can't write. And really, you only want someone working on your novel who is totally in love with it.

2.  Be grateful for the response. Seriously, I don't know how agents manage to even read queries let alone send a reply. Take a deep breath, file that rejection away, and send out a few more queries.

3. DON'T Google how many rejections Stephanie Meyer or JK Rowling received. It's ridiculously low. I think Twilight got eight in total. Eight! I got eight rejections in one day! It's great when success happens so quickly for some authors. Take comfort that the pressure is off you, and that you're meant to find your agent/publishing contract/movie deal through a little more time and effort.

4. Check out websites for aspiring writers. My favorite haunt is Query Tracker. Also, you may want to join a local writing group. Sharing rejection stories with other writers is good therapy, and you might get a few beta readers.

5.  Lastly, you are your characters best advocate. If you quit, then who will tell their story? 


Do you have any tips on handling rejection?

Now stop reading this and go write something amazing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...